Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring Cleaning Fully Swinging...

   Hello friends! I hope that everyone is enjoying your day... I know I am! 
I am just going to dive in this morning because the boys are off to school and it's quiet....
    I have kicked into extreme organizational mode at the "Casa Rivera". I am finding so much joy in revamping my hidden spaces.

    This week I did the biggest one yet, our master closet. Whew... I did not realize what a job that would be when I began or how much stuff we had crammed in that small space. It took me 12 hours of hard work on this baby. I had to attack it like this... once I commit to labor, I can't stop till I have my baby!!! HAHA.. I know comparing closet organization to childbirth is a bit different in the rewards, but you catch my drift. The rewards of our labor far out way the time we spend accomplishing them.
       Before my mission commenced...

        Now you can see why it needed an overhaul. Keep in mind it does not always look like this. I had been sick for 2 weeks. Plus, I was in pull out mode for a consignment sale. Nuff said, you get the picture.

        This closet, as I have mentioned before, is one of those spaces that can get out of control in a heartbeat if I neglect it. I mean have you ever simply thought about how much dust collects in your closet? GROSS! I used an entire box of Swiffers and I exhausted my vacuuming arm. I cleaned every hanger, piece of clothing, shelf, basket, shoe box and baseboard... I mean everything got a good clean including the walls, ceiling and floor. I got quite a workout on this job and I have the soreness to prove it.

       The whole master space got so crazy that my hubby had to move into the guest room for 2 days until the dust storm and mounds of clothing had been cleared ;-( ... Thank you HONEY!  You see, if I set my mind to do something it is going to be done and done right... well into the morning hours if necessary.

      Here are some pics of the tear out piles each which had to be swiffered and vacuumed ....




I must admit that as I began to take everything out of the closet, it was a bit overwhelming. I was tempted to frantically start chucking it all into "give away bags" just so I would not have to deal with it.

     When everything was out and the space thoroughly cleaned I began to paint and wonder if I should leave the closet empty ;-). I chose a pretty camel color. It took me 7 hours to paint the walls, ceiling, shelves and brackets. 
I used muscles I did not know that I had ;-).

  
                   Before painting...

After painting, the tape is still on.... 

Now for the load in and color coding. Oh and shoe box labeling.
               Mission accomplished...


Of course, it looks 100% better in person!
     The space is waiting on a mini chandelier and special baskets to add a little more cozy. I will post pics when they arrive and are installed.

    I am finding that when a space is properly organized it is easily maintained with little effort each day ...
{organized ~ meaning everything has a home and it's home  is appealing to the eye }... cozy.

     I have dreams for my closet one day, but until that day comes I am totally content and thankful with my matching hangers, matching/labeled shoe boxes, baskets and fresh paint! These pictures inspired my organization...


   
   Here is a window into my dreams. My closet would look something like these...
















   
   Hey a girl can dream can't she? Besides I believe my dreams are what God dreamed for me first! 
     I hope that this inspires you to find everything a home in your home (most of all yourself) and make your hidden spaces feel more custom cozy.

     I mean what more fulfilling activity can you do while stuck inside with a spring allergen hangover? I am beginning to think that allergies played a huge role in generations of women choosing to do the major household cleaning in the spring....hehe. That and the intense desire for the change that the freshness of spring brings. 

        I don't know about you, but I am always ready to burst out of winter. So here is my design tip of the week...

      Bring  your seasons indoorsThere is nothing like adding a little decorative lighting to seasonal decor to bring on the cozy factor and my kids love it! Just like christmas lighting.

       Here are a few pics of the spring cozy I have added in my home so far...

 
            My spring foyer..

at night...


 A little kitchen sprinkle...

         

 Dining room touch..

So there you have it... Lord, bring on spring in our lives in every way!
Many blessings on your day!






No comments:

Post a Comment