Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Clutter Free = Cozy Me

       Good Morning! I hope this day finds you all well and warm. We awoke this morning to our first snow day of the year! I think I get more excited about this than my boys do! There is nothing more cozy than a snow covered view out my window...coffee...laptop...and the lack of the "getting the kids off to school rush". Now to focus in a house filled with fun... Thankfully, I actually wrote the following yesterday morning, but I did not want to bombard you all with too many posts. I guess the Lord knew I would need my lap free today...

      There are so many different aspects of design that I could talk about today, but I feel that since this is only my second day blogging, I want to set up a foundation of what makes decorating enjoyable for me.

     My creativity flows best in a clean, uncluttered space. The number one enemy of "cozy" in my home is "clutter"! It affects me in the natural as well as in my spiritual life. The more things that build up, the harder it is for me to connect with my Prince of Peace.

      So... I find myself in a war against clutter on a daily basis! While I love collections, I am NOT a "packrat". I actually find great pleasure in throwing things away or giving them away. Especially if they are homeless- without a home in my home..      
At the same time, I have been blessed with an amazing husband and two precious sons... so I have to make sure that they are not casualties in my war! Which means,regretfully, I MUST resist the urges to throw away toys and power cables that get in the way of my cleaning instruments. We are a package deal... they live here too and they need their own spaces. This is why I am ever on the hunt for beautiful yet functional pieces that can house their "collections". I must remember everyday that I battle not against "Legos"... Although, I must confess that I find a moment of sweet satisfaction when I "accidentally" run over a few of them with my vacuum! After all...the floor is NOT their home..
              
                  Routine
  Routines are necessary for my sanity!
Doing a little here and a little there everyday will cut out build-up. I find that if I spend 45 minutes to an hour each day on my daily routine, my home will stay clean and leave me more time to create or get into trouble at my favorite watering holes! Establishing routines for my boys, on the other hand, is an ongoing JOY... rules have helped and they are getting there...

      I promise that this is not going to be a blog about cleaning, but the truth is that cleaning and organization are a major part of having a cozy home. I actually find them to be therapeutic. If this is an area that repels you, hang around someone who is passionate about it or watch a show about it... it will rub off! As I always say "Clean house, happy wife!"..
      
      It's important to state that I don't have it all together! I have problem areas..they are my closet/bathroom and my laundry room. Mostly because I like to focus on the rooms I spend more time in... and it is easy to just close and lock those cluttered areas behind me... if you ever walk into a locked door at my house you know why... Though I have come to realize that it is the hidden spaces that trouble me most, so I've committed to adding those areas more to my everyday routine. It's amazing the parallels to my inner walk with God... It's a journey... some days mountainous, some days flat or even down hill, but everyday a little bit cozier with Him.
      
      Making a commitment in this area of life is like a marriage...in sickness and in health... with a housekeeper or without ... you get my drift.
      
      Ok, all this talk about cleaning is making me realize that I have yet to do my morning chores... I must exit the world of the blog and leave you with a few pictures of cozy~elegant spaces that inspire me to get going in my daily routines. My favorite tools of inspiration are decorating books and magazines. If I pick one up and look through it it makes me WANT to clean.
      
      I am sure that everyone who reads this will share a different taste in decorating style. So I encourage you to find a decorating style that brings you JOY! One that speaks "cozy" to your bones... and pick up a few books or visit http://www.pinterest.com and explore. The visuals really help to inspire.



Charles Faudree~ You are amazing! I want this bathroom.


The entry way...your first encounter with a home.


I love layering different patterns,textures and colors. So inviting.


Cozy living room.


LOVE this kitchen! So unique.


Love the borders and the yellow pop of color. I love to create functional spaces of beauty too...like storage.


Dreamy kitchen..

I LOVE color!!


      This makes me want to organize my utility room.


I am going to work on my pantry today!


I could sit here by this fireplace all day.
               ~ Charles Faudree



As you can tell, I LOVE blue and white! You will see that I incorporate it throughout my home. There is something about that color combo that awakens my senses.



I love this bathroom! 

                 
      I know these are random pictures and they only skim the surface. You will soon come to know their designers... they have inspired me along the way.
      FYI....I am not a techy, so my husband is going to teach me Wordpress over the next few days so that my posts can flow better.
      Hang in there with me while I learn to create a cozy~elegant space for you to rest... here.
         Have a blessed day!
           ~Kimberly Rivera


   

5 comments:

  1. Hello Kimberly,

    I have been inspired and uplifted by your music for years and I am so glad that you have a blog. I love the feel of the website and your pictures are great.

    May I give you one bit of feedback? In your above blog there are somewhere around 60 exclamation points, in fact, every sentence ends in one. As a writer, may I just suggest that you edit some of those out to make the blog more readable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. As a passionate person who has never been a writer, it is easy to end every sentence with an exclamation point...
    I have revised it now and hope it is easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your blog Kimberly! I so enjoyed that your hate clutter and messes and are not ashamed to be you! It was refreshing! I believe you are correct that clutter messes with us even spiritually, expecially if we are intune with the Holy Spirit!

    Gamma Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kimberly,

    I have loved the Rivera Ministry since I discovered Draw Near in 2003. May God continually bless your work in His Field.
    The beautiful thing about blogging is that it is the personal expression of the one who creates it. Your energy, love, and excitement shines through with every character stroke of your keyboard! Writing is one of the most beautiful forms of self expression for it is where as one famous writer expressed it, "we open a vein and bleed all over the page". In other words we express our souls. Let your passion shine as the gift that it is! Our Creator knows what each of His children needs to fuel His creative Spirit that dwells within them. And most important enjoy every moment of writing on your blog, for that is all a part of your "Deep Gladness", and also responsibly living Galatians 6:4-5 as The Message Translation explains it so creatively.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete