Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Behind Closed Doors.... A Spring Revolution!

 Happy March everyone!! 
    I can't believe that it is already March and we are well on our way into spring.
   God has been so good to bring our family back to health! Now that I have energy, I have been starting my "behind closed doors spring revolution". What some might call spring cleaning... I am going to take to the next level. Maybe by giving it this new name it will light a fire under my ____ priorities ;-).
   After completing my laundry room redo, I inspired myself. I now have a list of make-overs that I will tackle this month and beyond. 
    I was just telling my honey that starting this blog is the best thing I could have ever done for our home ;-)... and my family is certainly enjoying my little transformations. I am so enjoying getting e-mails from all of you who are being inspired to tackle your own spaces. Please send me pictures of them! I want to see. Inspiration is contagious and I am always ready to catch it.

    This week I decided to tackle my pantry. It used to be so organized, but after having loads of company (which means extra food) and then being sick... it had gotten out of control. Here is a picture to prove the disgrace....



    As you can plainly see, it needs TLC.... Tender Loving COZY...

   When I painted my laundry room in color it made such a difference, so I decided that all of my closed off spaces deserved a color make-over. 

Here is the torn out pic. One of my lil' men was home from school so he helped me clean and prep the space for painting. It was sweet bonding time.



Now for some paint! I went shopping in my paint stash and found this color and painted out the pantry. The pictures make it look MUCH brighter and neon than it actually is. It is the base coat color of my textured/tuscan kitchen walls.



While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I cleaned all of my canisters and brought all of our food up to date ;-). I am sure my garbage company was happy with all the extra trash. 

I then decided to go out for more canisters and I found chalk~board labels (thanks for making these Martha Stewart!). I love them!

When I returned the space was ready for coziness.


 As you can see I labeled all of our canisters and baskets.


and organized our can storage (on top)... You can purchase these can organizers at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $10 a piece. 


This is a very enjoyable transformation! We can't stop looking at it. It makes me want to ask my guests... "could you grab the blue chips out of the pantry"... just so I can show it off ;-).

Here is a picture of the before and after side by side courtesy of my friend Caitlin.

 This job took me a total of 7 hours with all of the cleaning, painting and organization. What a rewarding days work!

That was my Cleaning/Organizational Challenge of the week. 

This challenge only cost me around $67 because I re~purposed a Potterybarn basket/shelf that was no longer being used for toys and used paint that we already had. I also had about 12 of the large canisters, the "lazy susans" and the can organizers. So if I had started from scratch it would have cost a lot more... The money was spent on canisters (a set of 8 @ Costco for $47) and the labels I got @ Staples in the Martha Stewart section for around $20. 

Of course you can bring order without spending a dime, but I had been wanting to give this space some more love for a while now. After all, a pantry is a space you look at and use everyday. Looking into order evokes such a euphoric feeling! It's like breathing a breath of fresh air. 

 So I guess my design tip of the week would be...

Add a paint color to your mundane spaces and invest in matching canisters and decorative baskets. It is amazing how order and decorative accents bring on the "cozy". It's pretty much a one time investment as they last a LONG time and what a difference they make!

Here are some of the pictures that inspired me while I was on my sick bed. As you can see there are so many different ways to organize. Also, there are so many types of storage and labeling technics. I hope you find one that you like!












































I will be on the lookout this week for some "finds". My main watering hole has been closed for inventory. I hope to find something cool this week.

    As I have been writing this I keep hearing ..."First in the natural then in the Spirit"... I long for my home to have no locked doors or drawers. Where I can be confident that all who open them will find order and beauty. 

   
 It has long been my desire to have all the areas in my life reflect the order of heaven! Where I can fling open all the doors of my heart and fearlessly say "Come in Lord and be cozy with me! I have allowed You to fill and clean all my hidden spaces and You have brought me peace and made my JOY overflow!"... 
     
It is wonderful how every natural journey is dual~purposed when we walk with God as our companion.

    Many blessings on your week! I hope this gives you an organizational impartation..hehe.

   
 ~Kimberly Joy

4 comments:

  1. I hope you're showing this stuff to Nana. She'd be proud! A woman after her own heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have texted her all the pics and she wants me to help her with hers now!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Kimberly! This is so relevant to my current life situation - first the natural, then the spiritual - timely. I'm in love with your prophetic style of ministering. It's SO liberating, powerful and the deliverance anointing on your music is the best ive ever experienced. So much love, grace and freedom...wow! You and Laura are very gifted. Thank you so much. Bless you guys xoxox - Mark Rheeder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this link below, these closet products are so useful for the in between times of cleaning to help keep the freshness, dust and odors out of the closet. And you just simply hand the bag in the closet and forget it. This works wonders!
    http://www.damprid.com/product/hanging-moisture-absorber-activated-charcoal-fg80cr

    ReplyDelete